Well, you all already know that I’m a fan of reality TV from my True Confessions of a Reality TV Show Junkie post. This post is about something entirely different. This one is about the shows I watch with my husband (he wouldn’t be caught dead watching the Bachelor or Teen Mom with me ~ although he will watch Survivor and the Amazing Race). This post is about the TV series that suck us in and keep us wanting to watch the next episode week after week! We actually subscribed to Showtime two years ago just to be able to watch Dexter. Our goal was to find great series and watch them fully. We would order the disks off of Netflix to catch up and watch them episode after episode into the wee hours of the night. After renting the first few seasons of Dexter we knew we had to order Showtime! We could not wait. Here our some of what we think are must watch shows on TV:
1. Homeland – We started watching Homeland on the first night, first episode. It came on right after Dexter, and after seeing the previews for it I knew I had to watch it. I am so glad that I did! It sucked me in from the very first episode. The characters are very dynamic. Claire Danes plays the perfect insane woman. All the characters play such an important role in the storyline, and oh boy the storyline! You never know what is really happening. This show completely has you thinking, and just when you think you’ve figured things out something happens and you’re not sure all over again. I love it! I kept telling people to watch it!!! I finally felt vindicated that my opinion about the show was correct when they won awards for the past two years. If you haven’t seen it yet, you really should get it! You’re only two seasons behind. I can’t wait to see what happens with season three! There are so many different ways this story can go, and of course they leave you thinking…….again!
2. Dexter – This show is just crazy! I love it. Talk about loving a character that is a serial killer. Who knew? This show always keeps us wanting to watch the next episode. The first few seasons we got off of Netflix, so we would stay up and watch episodes back-to-back. We actually like watching it this way. When we caught up and then ordered Showtime, we had to wait a week in between episodes and hated that! Although, we say we live for Sunday nights with Dexter and Homeland (at least this past fall we did)! We are ready for the next season to start! This past season finale was pretty insane, so we want to see where they are going to take this with Dexter and Deb.
3. Breaking Bad – We got the first couple seasons of this show from Netflix too. The first couple of episodes we weren’t sure about, but once we really got into the characters we couldn’t stop watching. Who thought a high school science teacher turning meth drug dealer would be so interesting? Walt and Jesse have such an interesting relationship. It’s fun to watch it change and mature with time. And I think I have a little bit of a crush on Jesse! Sometimes (especially in later seasons), we get annoyed with Skylar (Walt’s wife). She’s just a weak character. Our favorite storyline was with Gus Fring. If you watch it you’ll know why. He’s just such an awesome character.
4. The Tudors – Okay, so I am a history buff. Especially during this time period. I love the story of Henry the 8th and his six wives. This series follows Henry from his first marriage all the way until his death. It is so interesting and the constant romances and ups-and-downs with Henry and his reign make you keep wanting to watch. The first few seasons were our favorites, especially the episodes with Anne Boleyn.
5. True Blood – This is just a silly and fun show to watch. I would not say it’s quality TV, but definitely entertaining. It’s about vampires and other supernatural beings that all live in a town in the south. Crazy things (and I mean crazy) happen all the time. Just when you think the story can’t get any stranger it does. We keep watching this and we’re not sure why. I guess the love story with Sookie and Bill and the insanity of the town keeps us watching. This is not a high quality drama like Homeland, it’s just fun to watch and entertaining. We were Sookie and Bill for Halloween this past year (see below):
6. Game of Thrones – This fantasy/sci-fi show we like, but for some reason don’t love. We will definitely watch the new season (we want to know what’s going to happen). I’m not sure why we don’t love it. I think sometimes we just feel the show is a little slow for us and sometimes a little strange. With the high intensity and fast-paced shows like Homeland, Dexter, and Breaking Bad, this one definitely seems slower. There are a few people that were killed in this series that we are not happy about (I won’t say names if you haven’t watched it), so that was a bit of a bummer too. Like I said though, we’ll keep watching.
7. The Wire – We LOVE this fast-paced and intense show. It takes place in Baltimore, MD and starts with the police dealing with the drug scene around the city. The characters are very dynamic, and even though there are many that are introduced it’s not too confusing. As the seasons progress there are other storylines that appear with corruption, politics, and the media. There are many twists and turns throughout the seasons. Great show! We are sad that it’s over. A must see if you haven’t yet.
8. Sons of Anarchy – Oh SAMCRO, how I am loving thee! This show is the one we are streaming right now through Netflix. We can stream through our Wii! It’s awesome. We’ve been watching about four episodes a night. I just want to keep watching it! There are five seasons and we are halfway through with season three. It is so good! Every time we finish an episode we look at each other and say. “Okay, just one more!” I thought at first this show was about bikers getting tattoos (like reality TV); I didn’t know it was a drama with a storyline. I can’t wait to watch tonight! Four more episodes!!! It’s a story about a Motor Club in a town of CA that runs the town. Yes, they are bikers, but there is so much more to the story and to each character! Watch it!
9. Parenthood – I need to throw this one in here. Yes, it’s not a show on FX, AMC, Showtime, or HBO. It’s on “regular TV” and a show that hubby does watch with me! This show hits all current topics and the characters are all so diverse. I love the large family and how they support each other through everything, even with all their ups-and-downs. This season has been very emotional (as you may know if you watch it already). The characters are real, there is humor, there is pain, there are so many wonderful things about this show! Tune in on Tuesday nights to watch it!
Here’s our list of shows to watch once we finish Sons of Anarchy:
- Downton Abbey
- Boardwalk Empire
- The Walking Dead
What else are we missing on our list? What are your favorite shows to watch?