My son is 5 years old and going into kindergarten. As summer is coming to an end, we always do a BIG clean out of the bedrooms to get the kids organized for school. My 8 year old daughter found her old set of Bob Books that she used and loved when she started to read in kindergarten. Now it’s time to pass them down to little brother. He was so excited for his sister to give him these awesome first reader books! She has been sitting with him the last couple of nights helping him read the books and sound out the words.
He gets so excited when he can read an entire book to me. He brings it out and reads it, and whether he’s actually sounding out letters or just memorizing what words look like it really doesn’t matter. What matters at this point is that he is interested in learning to read, feels confident from being able to read these beginner books, and wants to learn more. This is the only set we have, and they work in a progression for kids’ learning. We now want to get the next books in the series because he wants to read them and he’s learning! I looked on Amazon and the are ON SALE! A great sale too! I am picking up the next few boxes so he can read those as school starts and get a jump start on his reading! School is great for learning, but learning also takes place in the home. The teachers can’t do it all ~ parents need to be involved in their kids’ learning too!
Click below to see the different Bob Books in the series:
What I love about the Bob Books:
1. They are interesting for my son
2. Easy enough for building confidence in reading
3. There are some black-and-white illustrations throughout the books (so a good transition from picture books)
4. The story lines in each series build on each other and connect, and progress with how kids should learn to read
5. The books in each series are numbered
6. They are only $16.99 each (but ON SALE NOW ~ Headed to buy mine)!