As you all know, I just recently moved from Blogger to WordPress. I have to say my thoughts the first week using it are very favorable. I love the new look of my site. I also love the widgets (yes, I’ve been up late searching through the vast options out there), and I just love learning something new in general. If you are afraid to take the leap because of the learning curve, do not worry. It’s not that difficult. It’s just different. I thought I would be moving over and needing to learn more HTML coding (although I do want to learn more of that), but that’s not the case. The widgets do almost all the work for you. In some aspects it’s even easier than Blogger. It’s definitely a lot more versatile in any case.
I have a few widgets/plug-ins I found and installed that I really like! Thanks to my friends in other Facebook groups and my awesome designer from Just Married with Graphics, they helped me to find useful widgets and have given me tips about WordPress in general. Here are a few of the widgets I like (and as I said there are many):
I really like this plug-in that helps me to track my stats. People said I could use GA or Statcounter, but I like the different views you can see with this, as well as other useful tools with the widget.
Thank goodness for this plug-in! I was getting spammed like crazy the first few days! I was thinking this was going to be highly annoying, but this plug-in took that all away! Phew!
Someone mentioned to me that there was no way to share my posts through my social media channels (I hadn’t even noticed yet), so this plug-in definitely came in handy. I know there are others out there like this now, and I may research them. I like this one, but the +1 button doesn’t work like I would like it to.
Top 5 Posts:
This is a widget that I added to my sidebar. I really like it! It shows me which posts are popular right this minute.
- There was an “Easy Instagram” plug-in I downloaded, but unfortunately it did not work.
- I want to learn more about SEO!
- I wish I could size photos easier in here.
- Need to learn how to use the “nofollow” plug-in better.
- My RSS feed was not working for the week, but hopefully we are back up and running today! Not sure what happened.
- My pageviews are down (probably for multiple reasons; FB, RSS, posting less this week); I’m sure once I start posting more they will head back up.
- Overall impression so far, I’m glad I made the move and can’t wait to continue learning MORE! I’ve ordered two books to be delivered soon about using WordPress.
I’ll let you know more in another week as to what I’ve learned and if my first impressions have changed at all! If you’re a WordPress user, which widget or Plug-in do you love?